Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC) confirmed over Twitter on Monday that its Instagram account was hacked. A scam link posted by the hacker appears to have resulted in multiple valuable NFTs being stolen from victims.
- The link, which has since been taken down, led to a page claiming to be sponsored by Yuga Labs. It called on users to connect their MetaMask wallet in order to be airdropped LAND – an upcoming governance and utility token.
- However, multiple holders are now claiming to have had their apes stolen from the related scam.
- The scammer’s address has already amassed an estimated $2.7M worth of NFTs – 91 in total at the time of writing. This includes 4 BAYC, 7 MAYC, 3 BAKC, 1 CloneX, & more.
“There is no mint going on today,” tweeted BAYC this morning. “It looks like BAYC Instagram was hacked. Do not mint anything, click links, or link your wallet to anything.”
- Multiple BAYC accounts have confirmed that there will be an actual airdrop for BAYC Land, but that the mint doesn’t occur April 30th.
- OpenSea – the largest NFT marketplace – has taken down its link to the scammer’s address.
- BAYC’s Instagram hack comes shortly after the group’s official Discord was hacked as well. Blockchain security firm Peckshield reported that the hack resulted in one Mutant Ape worth over $68,000 being stolen.
- Earlier this month, another unfortunate holder was fooled into selling his Bored Ape worth over half a million dollars in a fraudulent NFT swap.
- One scammer conducted a similar hack on Terra users last week, using a fake Google link to phish for their private keys. He reeled in over $4 million in crypto over ten days from his victims.
Binance Free $100 (Exclusive): Use this link to register and receive $100 free and 10% off fees on Binance Futures first month (terms).
PrimeXBT Special Offer: Use this link to register & enter POTATO50 code to receive up to $7,000 on your deposits.